Tuesday, April 05, 2005

A Spring Street Reviewer Chimes In

With only brief edits, I wanted to share this review from a woman many of you know, but whom I have yet to meet. On the occasion of an outside appearance by yours truly, I distributed advance reading copies to the luncheon party (great food, by the way).

Some of those books found their way to our reviewer, who shared the following by e-mail:

Hi Randy,

[My mother-in-law] shared two books with me. I'm also in a book club with some Children's Lit professors from IUS, but we generally read adult works:)!

Everything She Thought She Wanted was an enjoyable easy read - and quick read. It put me in mind of Ann Tyler's Ladder of Years and a more recent novel -How Does She Do It?

The actual quality of the writing wasn't truly fantastic, but as a working woman who has struggled with marriage, relationships, and the question of raising a family is very easy to identify with the younger woman's story.

I've encouraged [my mother-in-law] to read the book so that we can compare Barbara and Sienna's stories to what we know of "real life." I think any book club would enjoy debating the comparisons made between the so-called freedoms of today's modern woman versus the repressed woman of yesterday.

The other novel loaned was Berti and Hedwig. I could not even give it a fair chance. I got to page 30 and stopped. I've got too many other great books to read.

If you need any other advance reads let me know. I've always got my nose in a book!

Thanks,

Lea Marlow, M.D.

Patron Passport members are eligible to receive advance reader copies of books we are evaluating for the store. In return, all we ask is that you share a brief review, even a paragraph, with our other patrons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home