Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Featured Book for Wednesday, June 29, 2005

PSYCHOLOGY/SELF-HELP/RELATIONSHIPS

Please Understand Me II: Temperament, Character, Intelligence
by David Kiersey (Prometheus Nemesis Books, ISBN 1885705026, $15.95)



I can't tell you just how highly I recommend this book. Over the last 25 years, I've probably given away more than 30 copies (and that's long before I could buy them wholesale).

Expanding on Jungian themes, the Kiersey Temperament Sorter uses the incredible Myers-Briggs Type Indicator test as a jumping-off point. Take the test, or give the test to your spouse or co-worker, and you'll be amazed at how accurate it is in describing "personality types."

As I read it, the premise of PUMII is that you can't change another person. Their preferences are pretty much locked in. But you can understand them and find a way to relate to them in a way that draws on those preferences.

That's a little rough, but once you've tried this manual for life, I know you'll agree that it is a tool for building stronger relationships at home, in school, and at work.

I'm an INTJ, by the way. Feel free to skim the book to find out what that means.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home