Saturday, July 02, 2005

We're Open, and We're Reading...

Hi, folks. Just in case you didn't know it, the store is open now and will continue to maintain normal business hours through the holiday. That means we're open Sunday from noon to 5, and Monday, July 4, from 9 to 9, just as usual. You know you're not working, so swing by during your holiday jaunts. I won't force you to buy anything, and I'll even accept a cup of potato salad or a burger. If I don't see you, have a fantastic Independence Day with friends and family. Or even if I do.

I'm particularly excited about a new book I'm reading. It's Divided by God, by Noah Feldman. Subtitled America's Church-State Problem and What We Should Do About It, this new book offers a wonderful mix of the scholarly and the accessible. As history, it is sound in outlining the various movements of the pendulum across the American centuries. More importantly, it offers a somewhat neutral view as it surveys the history.

With chapter titles like "The Birth of American Secularism" and "The Fundamentals, the Fundamentalists, and the Monkey Trial," you can imagine it's the kind of book that will stir all kinds of considerations and debate.

I'm told that Feldman was called on to help draft the interim constitution for post-Saddam Iraq, although I understand he was dismissed when he strayed from the administration line. Still, the book doesn't seem to be political in a way that would offend either side of the debate.

I can count about 30 of you who will want to read this, so I've ordered extra copies. Since everyone doesn't read the blog, tell your friends. Mention you read about it on the blog and we'll give you a $10 Booksense Gift Card with the purchase. You can't beat that, now can you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home